Saturday, January 24, 2015

My First Green Smoothie

I love juicing, especially during the warmer months. It gives me a boost of energy and helps me to get all my servings of vegetables in. 

But today, today I made my first green smoothie and I am HOOKED!  It was so much better than I thought it would be, creamy, refreshing, and did NOT taste a bit like the two whole cups of spinach I threw in.


Smoothies vs Juicing

There are so many great benefits to juicing, the pure vitamin power of the vegetables get delivered to your stomach and bloodstream immediately. You can drink way more vegetables than you would ever eat in one day. But the criticism of juicing is the lack of fiber for your stomach to work on. Too many fruits in a juice can spike your blood sugar which is not what you want, especially when juicing as part of a cleanse.

With a smoothie, the entire fruit and vegetable goes in the blender. Now you are taking in all the fiber from the peeled orange, and not just the juice. I felt full for a long time after drinking my smoothie and enjoyed every sip. It makes two servings, but I just drank half at home, put the rest in a mason jar with a lid and took it with me to work.




Here is what I made:

Orange Goodness
2 cups spinach*, packed
1 cup coconut water
1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
1 whole orange, peeled
1 frozen banana

Put everything in the blender and blend until smooth. Pour into your favorite glass or jar and enjoy!

*For the spinach, I recommend using the bundle of large leaf spinach found near the lettuce. The small, baby spinach in the bags has much less moisture in the leaves and wont blend up as well. Using the bagged spinach is good too if that is what you have, any spinach is better than using none at all!

1 comment:

Eli Joseph said...

I am glad to read this article regarding Smoothies vs. Juicing! I think smoothies are much beneficial. I also make the Green drink in every morning and drink it in place of my breakfast. You know, my kids also love green smoothies!