Monday, August 11, 2014

Fantastic Carrot Cake


I mentioned before how I have been thinking about carrot cake a lot lately. It just happens to be my husband's favorite kind of cake. I like to make it as muffins and leave it unfrosted. I think the cake is tasty and sweet enough without the added sugar. For company though, I add a cream cheese frosting.


Here is my unfrosted gluten and dairy free version. I have also made a non-dairy frosting using a combination of shortening and margarine instead of the butter and cream cheese. You can also use tofu-based cream cheese like Tofutti, which I only use sparingly. It is a little too over processed for me. 

So onto the cake:

INGREDIENTS:

Dry
1 1/4 cup brown rice flour
3/4 cup potato starch
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup sweet rice flour
2 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 Tbsp baking soda
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp cardamom

Wet
2 1/2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup applesauce
1 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 cups canola or grapeseed oil
2 tsp vanilla

2 cups finely shredded carrot, packed
3/4 cup golden raisins

PROCEDURE:

Preheat oven to 350.  Spray two 8" cake pans with cooking spray and line with parchment.  Or place 12 muffin cups into muffin tin.

Measure out all dry ingredients into a medium size bowl and whisk to mix.  Set aside.

Place all of the wet ingredients except the carrot and raisins in a separate larger bowl and using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat on a low to medium setting until well incorporated. 

Add the dry mix to the wet and beat again until the batter just comes together. 

Add carrot and raisins and stir to mix with a rubber spatula.

Pour batter into cake pans or muffin cups and bake for 35 minutes.



Cupcakes reduce time to 20 minutes.  Remove from oven when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.

No comments: