Friday, July 18, 2014

Zucchini Bread


This is another one of the very first recipes I wrote for this blog back in 2008. I converted it from a regular wheat flour zucchini bread because back then, there were not a lot of gluten free recipes and I had to make my own. The recipe was not a home run the first time out and needed a few revisions. I am happy to say that now, this many years later, I don't even remember it being anything but amazing. 

Zucchini is a great summer vegetable and so versatile. I grate it into my marinara which adds more vegetable power without anyone knowing it is in there. The zucchini below is still attached to its flower, which many restaurants showcase on their menus during the squash growing season. 
Zucchini Squash Blossom
These squash blossoms can be stuffed, battered and fried, and are oh, so delicious. 
I make this zucchini bread for everyone, gluten free and not. I think they enjoy it because it is so moist, and the little chocolate chips probably help too. I have made the bread without the chocolate and it just isnt as good in my opinion. Something about the zucchini, cinnamon and chocolate that are just perfect together.  And so here is the recipe for my gluten free zucchini bread. 

Gluten Free Zucchini Bread


Yield: 2 loaves or 16 mini loaves or 24 muffins

Dry
3/4 cup brown rice flour
3/4 cup sorghum flour

3/4 cup tapioca starch
1/2 cup potato starch
1/4 cup millet or quinoa flour
1 tsp xanthan gum
3 tsp cinnamon

1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Wet

3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar 
         (I used 1/2 cup natural white sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 
          1/2 cup maple crystals or coconut sugar)
1 cup grapeseed or canola oil
2 cups grated zucchini (large grate) 2 medium, about 11oz
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Procedure:


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


2. In a medium bowl combine all the dry ingredients and stir with a fork or whisk.


3. In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, add eggs, sugar and oil and beat on medium speed until creamy. Add zucchini and vanilla and beat again until well mixed, about 30 seconds. Add the bowl of dry ingredients to the batter and mix until well incorporated.


4. Using a rubber spatula fold in chocolate chips. Divide the batter into prepared pans.


The pans below are mini loaves, which you can find here.



Bake according to the times below, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Rotate pans half way through baking time.

Bake large loaves 60 minutes (9x5 or 8x5 inch pans)

Bake muffins approximately 20 to 25 minutes
Bake mini loaves 24 minutes


Below is a small loaf pan from BB&Beyond, this is a great size for this bread too. These take 42 mins baking time.

This makes a good full size loaf, but I think it dries out a little because it has to be in the oven so much longer. 

My favorite is the mini loaves. Makes for portion control (if you can eat just one) and easy to pack and take along for a snack. 

No comments: