Saturday, July 12, 2014

Barbecued Teriyaki Tri Tip with Lucky Dog Hot Sauce

Tri Tip is my favorite meat to throw on the grill especially when trying to feed a bunch of people. It is relatively inexpensive, easy to cook, and packs a lot of flavor if you marinate it early enough.  I usually do a teriyaki style marinade on a tri tip, something like Soy Vay's, Veri Veri. After figuring out I had a gluten allergy, I worked on making my own teriyaki combination to avoid the wheat in most soy based sauces. 

This summer I have been thinking a lot about how to incorporate Lucky Dog, my new favorite hot sauce, into this marinade. Grilled tri tip is really good with a teriyaki crust, but it can also benefit from a little heat. Lucky Dog currently has 6 flavors/heat levels: (from mild to extra hot) Purple, Green, Red, Orange, Pink and Black.



I am a wimp when it comes to hot sauce, so I tend to stick around the milds: the purple (extra mild) and green (mild). I was never a hot sauce user until I met Scott a couple years ago and tasted his homemade batches. Back then it was just a backyard hobby and he roasted all the peppers on his grill. I loved his tasty creations from the first hello. It was just so different than any other hot sauce I had every tried before, it had FLAVOR, not just heat.  My husband and I liked his sauces so much that we requested our own personal batch and used them as wedding favors two years ago. (Scott's LD bottle is in the orange tissue paper).


So back to my tri tip.....I tried out this recipe a couple times using the different Lucky Dog sauces and the Black Label really shined. It has incredible flavor, with hints of fig, onion and garlic, and the heat is well matched with my salty and sweet marinade.

Now on to the recipe......

Barbecued Teriyaki Tri Tip with Lucky Dog Hot Sauce Black 

Ingredients
3 to 4 pound tri tip
1/2 cup Tamari (or regular soy sauce if you are not gluten intolerant)
1 tbsp lime juice (about 1/2 a lime)
5 large garlic cloves, smashed with the side of your knife
2 tbsp maple syrup, grade b
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp Lucky Dog Sauce, Black Label

Procedure
Combine Tamari, lime juice, garlic, maple syrup, Worcestershire and hot sauce in a small bowl. 

Place tri tip in a gallon size ziploc bag and then pour in the marinade.  Fold the bag in half keeping all the marinade snug in bottom with the meat. Then place on a baking sheet or dish (just in case you have any drips) and place in the refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours.   Turn bag over 2 to 3 times over the 48 hours to make sure the entire tri tip soaks in the marinade. 
** Note: 48 hours is ideal, but you can go 24 if you have to. The best flavor happens at the 2 day mark. 


One hour before you are ready to grill, remove tri tip from fridge and place on the counter to allow the meat to come to room temperature. 

Heat grill to high heat. Remove tri tip from ziploc and place on a small baking sheet. Discard marinade. Once grill is hot, sear tri tip by placing on hottest part of grill for 5 minutes, turn over and sear another 5 minutes. 

Flip over to original side, move to middle of grill, lower heat to medium high and close lid, leave for 10 minutes. Turn tri tip over, close lid again, and leave for 10 more minutes. Remove from grill and place on baking sheet or large, sided dish, (not the same one you used before as it had raw meat on it). 
**Note: If you are new to grilling or haven't made tri tip before and want to check the doneness of the meat, it is best to use a meat thermometer. My goal for this tri tip is "medium" which is 140 to 145 degrees. 


Let rest for 10 minutes. Seriously, walk away from the tri tip. It smells really good and I know you want to jump right in, but you will lose all the moistness of the meat if you cut it too soon. 

Once you have gone and opened yourself another beer, come back and thinly slice tri tip against the grain.


We had ours with some smoked pork ribs (that recipe will come later) and grilled asparagus. Pour on some more Lucky Dog if it is not spicy enough for you. I thought mine was just perfect.



Enjoy!

No comments: