Monday, April 25, 2011

Ode to the Ronco Rotisserie


A few years ago my fiance' asked for a Rotisserie for Christmas.  Everyone thought he was crazy.  I wasn't even sure where he came up with the idea, but figured it was his gift, I didn't care. 

As soon as we roasted our first whole chicken, I was hooked.  I had no idea how easy it was to use a rotisserie and how AMAZING the chicken tasted. It is naturally a gluten free and low fat method of cooking.  The chicken constantly rotates as it cooks which allows for the chicken's own juices and fat to literally baste itself while it roasts.

And I already mentioned how easy it is to use. Once you purchase the chicken, clean and tie it up, the 1 hour cooking time is hassle free. You can go do other things while your dinner is cooking.

So here is how it starts.


I usually purchase a 2.5 to 3 pound chicken, rinse and remove any giblets that may be in the cavity.  Get the rotisserie prongs ready and my butchers twine.  With the prongs sitting upright, slide the chicken down letting the prongs pass through the open cavity and piercing the chicken until they pop out the top as seen below.


Then place the chicken into the rotisserie.  This is usually when I secure the chicken with the twine because I can get a better sense of how much it needs to be tied so that it doesn't  flop around as the wheels turn.


My Ronco Rotisserie has cook time guidelines on the side which makes cooking times easy to figure out if you are not sure.


So once the chicken is secured, set the timer and let it go.  The chicken will eventually look like this.


And then it will look like this... YUM!


Once my family has devoured the chicken I save all the bones to make chicken stock.  I will be posting how I make chicken and vegetable stock next.

No comments: