Tuesday, April 5, 2011

An Afternoon Tea

It feels like I have been working on creating this "Mommy and Me" Tea Party for months now.  The idea came from a friend who is part of a local parents club.  She wanted to create a fun event for the parents and their children to do together and after a little brainstorming, the Tea Party was born. 

I had almost no equipment to set up an elegant English tea, so I started searching the best place to find discarded treasures, the Goodwill.  I visited every Goodwill up and down the Peninsula hoping to discover full sets of dainty tea cups, saucers and tea pots, and to my surprise, I did! I am sure all of these lovely tea cups were treasured by their past owners and now they would be put to good use again. I am not sure which part of this whole process I enjoyed more, creating the food, or putting the table settings together.

We reserved the fireside room at the Lucie Stern Community Center, which was the perfect location, complete with a beautiful garden area right outside.


Once each table was set up, the room was transformed into a lovely place for an afternoon tea.


The menu for the afternoon:

Cucumber and Cream Cheese Sandwiches
Turkey and Cheese Sandwiches
Cookies: Raspberry Thumbprint, Mini Chocolate Chip, Early Grey and Orange Tea Biscuits
Strawberry Lemonade (for the non-tea drinkers)
Earl Grey Tea
Cream
Sugar



Once our guests arrived, the party was complete.  The Tea Party provided a fun atmosphere for parents and children to drink from "adult" tea cups while practicing their manners, saying "please" and "thank you" while also enjoying tea sandwiches and cookies.  It was really nice to walk out into the room and see so many smiling faces.


During the Tea Party, we had a visit from a representative from Frog Hollow Farm in Brentwood, CA. He brought fresh fruit and pastries to share with our guests. Frog Hollow has a CSA that provides fresh, locally grown fruit to all of the Bay Area.

They are famously known for their homemade conserves and baked goods made with fruits from the farm.


As a parting gift, all of the guests left with a decorated sugar cookie that I hand painted over the few days preceding the party.



Here is what they looked like before being bagged.


I definitely plan to do this again, possibly for smaller groups in their homes. An Afternoon Tea Party would make a great birthday party or bridal shower.  Next time I might even be able to include more dress up items like hats and white gloves.  Ta ta for now!

3 comments:

Daniel said...

WOW!!!!!!!! Andrea, I am very, very, impressed. You did an unbelievable Job on all this. As I was scrolling down these Pictures, I was laughing at how good this all really is, saying to myself,"Good Lord, She is really Amazing". Congrats on a Job well done.....

Denise Cauvin said...

WOW Andrea, lovely party, so pretty, so fun, you ROCK girl!!!! xoxo

Anonymous said...

My daughter and I were lucky enough to enjoy the "tea party" Andrea hosted. It was really enjoyable, with great food...especially the scones and strawberry lemonade. And my daughter couldn't wait to eat her tea cookie later.
I'll look forward to reading more on your blog now - thanks again!
Judy and Margaux