Sunday, April 18, 2010

Rediscovering Sandwiches


How simple is the basic sandwich. Two pieces of bread, some mayo and mustard, lunch meat, lettuce, tomato. Even better, slather your bread with peanut butter and jelly for the reliable lunch since you went to school carrying a brown paper bag. I never realized how I took sandwiches for granted until I could no longer eat them. Since I first went gluten free over 7 years ago I have tried many gluten free breads. Some are better than others as many of you know.

Most of the time I don't really think about bread. But lately I have been missing it a lot. I get frustrated when we are going out for the day and want to have some easy snacks packed in the car. I cant just make a sandwich like my boyfriend can. And then last weekend I needed breadcrumbs for a recipe. I must have stood in front of the GF freezer section for 10 minutes trying to pick out the best loaf of bread. I wanted to find the one that would come out the most like regular bread crumbs. I picked up three different brands figuring that I would toast all of them and then choose the best looking one.

One of the products I picked up was Udi's Gluten Free breads.

Most gluten free breads are just ok straight out of the bag. They get a lot better once they have been toasted. Udi's white sandwich bread is light and fluffy and toasting is not necessary. Someone at Udi's knows exactly what I am talking about because this is on the back of the package: "Our delicious recipe makes it possible for you to enjoy gluten free bread without having to toast or microwave it". See below how great this bread looks...

The only downside is all the holes created by the yeast. This could make for a messy sandwich. I compensated for the holes by putting the lettuce on the bread first and then spreading the mustard on the lettuce. I havent tried the whole grain version yet.

The white bread made great breadcrumbs which I used on a Cauliflower Gratin I made last week...


Oh how I wish I lived in Denver where Udi's Artisan breads are made fresh daily and available at 5 bakeries around Colorado. If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area now you can find Udi's at Draeger's and Whole Foods.

1 comment:

Jen N said...

mariposa bakery in Oakland has a great sandwich bread. I will try Udi's. Thanks for the tip!