Wednesday, March 3, 2010

My first guest publication!

Oh the excitement of seeing my name in a book, even if it isn't my own. Early last year I was asked to contribute to a companion cookbook for the IBS for Dummies book. The main focus of my cooking is whole and healing foods so this seemed like a perfect partnership. I sent the authors some of my favorite recipes and then waited to see if they would use any of them. The book finally published recently and I was delighted to find eight of my recipes made the cut! A big thank you to Dr. Carolyn Dean for including me.

In the book, IBS Cookbook for Dummies, the authors break down how food and food preparation can both trigger and help manage IBS symptoms. Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is a disorder characterized by cramping, abdominal pain, bloating, constipation, and diarrhea. IBS causes a great deal of discomfort and distress, but it does not permanently harm the intestines like Celiac Disease does. In each section of the book they outline causes and symptoms of IBS followed by recipes that contains ingredients that help reduce those symptoms.

A specific cause for IBS has not been determined but it is widely thought that these symptoms may be due to a colon, or large intestine that is particularly sensitive and reactive to certain foods and stress. The immune system, which fights infection, may also be involved. After reading through this book I realized just how similar IBS is to Celiac and gluten intollerance. This book could help a wide range of people, including me!

Some of the recipes I wrote for the book include: Creamy Vegan Stroganoff with Caramelized Onions, Asian Tempeh Kabobs, Red Lentil and Coconut Soup, Cauliflower Salad with Dill Dressing and my popular chocolate cake. The Rich and Moist Chocolate Cake (gluten free) made it into the center color picture section (pictured right) as did my Pressed Salad.





If you think you might have IBS check out this really good description of symptoms on About.com and then get a copy of the cookbook. Please let me know if you do as I would love your feedback on how it helped you.
(photographs by T.J. Hine Photography Inc.)

No comments: