Monday, March 23, 2015

Asian Style Tempeh Kabobs



I have some coworkers that have never liked the flavor of tempeh. As soon as I heard this, I was determined to make my version for them and show them how good it could be. I first created this recipe about 5 years ago when I was working for many vegetarian clients. I have revised the recipe a little but am happy to say that it still stands up as one of my favorite vegetarian dishes.  I was a vegetarian for about 7 years back in my 20's and I still like to eat tempeh and tofu occasionally now. I now use this teriyaki style marinade for beef too. 

The key to really good tempeh is all in the marinade. Frying the tempeh first creates a crunchier texture plus adds some fat, and then the marinade gives it a rich, meaty flavor. Make extra of the marinade and save it in the refrigerator for quick meal prep later, or use it to marinate beef for a stir fry. 


Serve this over a bed of rice with a Pressed Salad and my Carrot Ginger Soup. Having a barbecue? Make the skewers up to 2 days ahead of time and then put them on the grill for about 5 minutes to reheat.

Ingredients

Marinade:
¼ cup tamari or soy sauce
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons grade b 
maple syrup or rice syrup
tablespoon lime juice (about 1 lime)
1 teaspoon ginger juice, or small piece of ginger peeled and grated
1 tablespoon minced garlic (2-3 cloves in a garlic press or minced)

Kabobs
1 package tempeh
3 tablespoon olive oil or coconut oil
6 6-inch skewers

Procedure:
In a small bowl, mix tamari, vinegar, syrup, lime juice, ginger and garlic until syrup has dissolved. Set aside.

Cut tempeh into 1 inch cubes. Heat oil in frying pan over medium heat. Add tempeh and cook until browned on each side, about 2 minutes per side, turning over with tongs.

Pour marinade into frying pan, lower heat and simmer, about 8 to 10 minutes, turning tempeh occasionally so that they soak up the marinade evenly. (The marinade will thicken as it simmers). 


Remove from heat and let cool a few minutes until cool enough to handle. Place tempeh cubes onto skewers, 4 to 5 cubes on each, and place on serving dish. Drizzle remaining liquid from the pan over the skewers and serve.

Variations:
Add 2 teaspoons chopped lemongrass to marinade for a thai influence
Add ¼ cup pineapple or orange juice to marinade along with ½ tsp lemon zest
For a richer bacon-like flavor add a little Worcestershire sauce and smoked paprika powder


Will stay in the refrigerator for 1 ½ weeks
Reheat: Place skewers in a medium frying pan with a little oil over medium heat turning once until evenly heated through, about 5 minutes. If tempeh is too dry, sprinkle with some tamari or soy sauce.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Amber said...

I just tried this recipe. SO good. Thank you so much. I was in search of a good marinade. :) Love your blog!

Andrea said...

Thanks Amber! Glad you enjoyed it. This is a time tested favorite. I always make my tempeh this way. I been playing around with adding different spices to change it up.