Saturday, September 5, 2009

Gluten Free Pizza Crust, Thanks Bob!


I bought this Pizza Crust mix a couple months ago as a back up just in case my own gf pizza crust did not turn out. I have had great success with other Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free products and I hoped this one would not let me down. My recipe came out really well so this package has been sitting in the back of my pantry. Until last night....


The mix is really easy to use and has a relatively short list of ingredients. I like that it has no dairy and no additives I never heard of. Once you get all the ingredients mixed together, leave the dough in the bowl to rise for 20 minutes.

I covered mine with plastic wrap and set it near the pre-heating oven.


Once the dough had risen I took half of it and smoothed it out onto a greased cookie sheet. I had to keep wetting my hands so that the dough wouldnt stick to my fingers. Once my hands were wet the dough spread really easily. I tried to get the crust as thin as possible. Then the instructions said to bake the dough for 7 minutes first before adding any toppings.


After it baked, I topped half with tomato sauce, thinly sliced zucchini, salami, spinach and sausage.


On the other half I spread pesto, crumbled goat cheese and steamed broccoli. The pizza baked for the full amount of time on the package and came out looking like this.


The edges of the crust were golden brown and the bottom of the crust got a little crispy too. This pizza was so good that I finished half of it before I got the second one topped and into the oven. The crust had both crispyness along the edges as well as being soft and doughy in the middle. It has enough moisture and flavor that it did not need cheese.

I have tried many gluten free crusts both from restaurants and from the freezer section of the grocery store. This crust tasted better than most of all those. My boyfriend and I wrote about our visit to Pie Zanos in Phoenix, AZ
here, which was the best gluten free pizza crust I have had to date at a restaurant.

I will absolutely use this mix again. I think I will keep one on hand for those impromptu too tired to cook "let's order pizza" kind of nights. While my boyfriend is out getting his regular pizza, I can whip this together for me. I still intend on writing up how I made my own gluten free pizza crust and posting here. Maybe you can decide which one is better.


Happy, and healthy eating!




No comments: