Friday, September 4, 2009

Gluten Free Chocolate Cake (recipe)

This is my favorite gluten free chocolate cake recipe and I continue to rework it, trying to make it better. I have posted it here before, but it has been awhile since the last time. I have made a couple changes and added a creaming method for the butter and sugar which I think helps with keeping the cake from being too moist. Yes, I said too moist. That is usually not a description you use when talking about gluten free baked goods. Most of them are dry and gritty. The combination of flours and cocoa powder make this cake spongy and moist.

And maybe my favorite part is how they get these cracks in the surface while they bake. They are just beautiful.



I have used this recipe for multiple occasions where I am the only gluten free eater. No one complained a bit about having this as the dessert, in fact, most of the them have told me this is the best cake they have ever had. This is what I brought to a recent BBQ at a friend's house. I used whipped cream for the frosting and added strawberries and blueberries.



So on to the recipe:

Ingredients:
½ cup brown rice flour
¼ cup sorghum flour
¼ cup potato starch
¼ cup tapioca flour
½ cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1¼ teaspoons baking soda
¾ teaspoon sea salt

½ cup Earth Balance margarine, room temperature
1 cup sugar (½ cup organic white sugar, 
½ cup brown sugar)
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon vanilla
½ cup almond or soy milk
¾ cup coffee, room temp

Procedure:
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 inch round cake pan with margarine or coconut oil or line muffin pan with cupcake liners.

Put all dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir to mix with a fork.

In a separate bowl cream margarine with a hand mixer. Add sugar and continue blending. Add egg, and blend again.

Add dry ingredients, vanilla and milk to the bowl and mix on low speed. (This is where I set aside the hand mixer and start stirring with a spatula, you can do it either way). Batter will be thick like brownie batter. Add coffee and blend again until mixed. Batter will still be thick but smooth.

Pour batter into cake pans and smooth out the top. Place in oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, turning pan half way through baking time. Remove from oven when a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes and then remove and set on a rack.

Cupcakes: makes 12 cupcakes, reduce baking time to 20 minutes.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

Gaile said...

Wow these look beautiful and tasty and best of all, simple!! I have everything for these in my cupboard. I sense another baking bonanza coming on. Thanks so much for sharing this with us!!

sophiesfoodiefiles said...

Your gf chocolate cakes look fabulous & tasty too!

MMMMMMMMM,..;!!

Katie said...

Any ideas on making these egg free as well? Thanks!

Andrea said...

Katie, this recipe works really well with the EnerG egg replacer. So does my pumpkin bread recipe. I have not tried it with a flax egg replacer, but I think that would work as well. If I get a chance to try it out, I will post it, or if you try it, let me know how it turns out!