Thursday, March 19, 2009

Book Review: 1,000 Gluten Free Recipes

I love buying cookbooks. Sometimes I pick them off a store shelf the same way I pick a bottle of wine, by how the label or cover looks. This doesn't always pan out when trying a new wine, but most of the time it turns out well. I have cookbooks in my bookshelf that I have never opened. I get intrigued by the possibilities that lie inside when I first see the book in the store, and I fall in love with the pictures and then when I get it home... it sits. I always eventually get to them. There will be a time when I am looking for an idea and that book will have exactly what I am looking for.
I received a copy of Carol Fenster's new book, "1,000 Gluten-Free Recipes" a couple months ago. I was hoping to dig in immediately, but have only been able to make one recipe from it so far. I made the basic brownies. They came out just ok. She warns that they may remain gooey in the middle as if they are not cooked enough, but not to cook them too long. Mine definitely did not seem cooked enough in the middle. The ones around the edges looked great though, see picture below.

I will have to give this recipe another try once I rescue the book from the huge pile of boxes located in my living room. We are in the process of packing up the house in southern new jersey and then leaving for a 6 week trek across the united states, which could end in a relocation to California! More to come....

No comments: