Friday, February 13, 2009

Product Review: Crispy Battered Gluten Free Cod

This package caught our eye on a recent trip to Whole Foods. I am always game to try a new GF product out on the market, but I do hate wasting money on ones that disappoint. This is a frozen box of "Crispy Battered Gluten Free Cod" made by Starfish, Inc. The picture on the box makes the fish sticks look great, but we all know that doesn't mean much in the GF world. So first, I checked out the ingredient list: cod, water, yellow corn, rice flour, modified corn starch, salt, leavening (sodium bicarbonate, sodium acid pyrophosphate), garlic powder, onion powder, xanthan gum, guar gum, canola oil. The first good sign is there is no sugar, and cod is the first ingredient. I decided to throw it in my cart and give it a try.

I have been busy on the computer all day and suddenly realized
how hungry I was around 2pm. I
needed a quick lunch so I grabbed this box out of the freezer and started up the oven. It has instructions for either Oven Bake or Deep Fry, I opted for the oven. As you can see here, the pieces are small, about the size of a large chicken nugget. I left them in a little longer than the package said to make sure they got nice and golden.

And now for the first bite....the fish was flaky and the breading tasted very similar to other wheat-containing battered fish. I could taste the corn in the breading and it was nice and crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. I think the oven method worked just fine and frying wasnt needed. I also made a little homemade tartar sauce for the occasion. I highly recommend this product and will definitely buy it again.

No comments: