Sunday, January 11, 2009

Viva Daisy! Cooking Show on The Food Network

I sat on my couch Saturday morning anxiously anticipating the start of Daisy Martinez's show on The Food Network. The show is called "Viva Daisy!" and airs on Saturdays at 9:30am. She has done other cooking shows but they have aired on public stations. I have to admit that I have not seen any of her other shows. I do not usually watch cooking shows, but I have a particular interest in this one. I worked behind the scenes on the filming with a fantastic culinary crew.

This is the second time I have worked on a cooking show and I have to say... it has been one of my favorite jobs since graduating from culinary school. There is something about the pressure to perform that I enjoy as well as being part of a talented team all working towards a common goal. No one person on the team can succeed without the others.

Daisy's food has a Puerto Rican flair so there is lots of color and spice (not necessarily heat) in her dishes. I have made many of the recipes from the show since the filming and have loved them all, especially the Eggs A La Poloma and the Green Rice. For the first episode she made skirt steak with a chimichirri sauce, potato salad with roasted red peppers and hard boiled eggs and a coconut panna cotta topped with kiwi, papaya and mango. Delicious!
Check it out and enjoy.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Macrobiotics is not a diet. Macrobiotics is an orderly approach to diet and lifestyle. Through principles of harmony, balance and change we continually learn how to make healthier choices in our eating habits, diet, activity and lifestyle.

Macrobiotics is also based on the understanding that spiritual health, the development of endless appreciation for all of life, leads to mental, emotional and physical health. The healthy choices we each make on a daily basis also benefit society and the environment."
-Denny Waxman

chefandrea said...

Thank you for comments Denny. I know Macrobiotics extends farther than just what a person eats and that it is not a "diet" in the sense of the mainstream definition. I work with many people who want to eat better and heal from serious illnesses. I focus on the use of organic, whole foods and macrobiotics is frequently part of that.