Sunday, January 4, 2009

Chocolate Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting and Chocolate Lava

A couple months ago I was looking for an extra special cake and came across this on smittenkitchen's blog. Her photographs gripped me.... I must make this cake! Well, at the time I was only looking to make a small cake, something unimposing, but attractive and I came up with this.
Then her recipe sat in my bookcase.... waiting.... and every once and awhile I found it again and said to myself "I must make this!" Well the time finally came....my boyfriend's 40th birthday. I nervously followed all of her steps, changing little things here and there. I got the cake done and into the refrigerator to firm up, then worked on the peanut butter frosting

I got the cake frosted successfully...

And then came time to make the chocolate ganache. The first time around I seized the chocolate. Adding a cold liquid to warm melted chocolate is not good. It is important to know that you should warm the half and half before adding it to the melted chocolate. You can have it in a saucepan on the stove over low heat while you melt the chocolate and peanut butter. And voila, here is the beautiful creation....

I could not bring myself to write anything on the cake for fear of ruining the shiny chocolate glaze. What if I accidentally dripped something on it! So I just put some candles on it before singing for the birthday boy.
This version was made following the original recipe using AP Flour, which you can find on her original post. I have since made it with my own gluten free chocolate cake and it was even better. If you want more information about that recipe let me know.

1 comment:

Molly said...

Hi Andrea! I graduated from the Natural Gourmet too! CTP 133. I love your blog! I found it on the blog catalog, and I am glad I did. I wanted to share my blog with you http://organicspark.blogspot.com
Best,
Molly Chester