Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Wonderful and Moist GF Pumpkin Bread!

**Editor's Note: This is one of the first recipes I wrote right after culinary school. It remains to this day (6 years later) one of the best recipes I have ever created. I make it for people all the time, gluten free and not, and everyone loves it. 


This bread is gluten free, but you do not have to be gluten intolerant to enjoy it.

I was looking for a special dessert to bring to Thanksgiving dinner that I knew I could eat safely and wanted it to be something others could enjoy too. I didn't want to do a pumpkin pie so I looked for something else. I tried a couple bread recipes that I found online but none of them were quite right. This is what I ended up with and it is incredibly moist, almost too moist that it never felt completely baked. I have adjusted the liquid here to compensate.

I am not sure of how many standard loaf pans this recipe fills. I made one pan of 4 small loafs made by Wilson, see pic below. I think it will fill 2 to 3 regular size loaf pans, although I do recommend making smaller loaves or muffins. It will just bake better that way since there is no gluten to hold the batter up. 



The Ingredients . . .

Wet
3 large eggs
1/2 cups sugar  (1/2 cup white sugar,
 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup coconut sugar)
1/2 cup grapeseed or melted coconut oil
1 15 oz can organic pumpkin
2 tsp vanilla

Dry
2 cups gluten free flour (1/2 cup brown rice, 1/2 sorghum, 1/4 cup quinoa or millet, 1/2 potato starch, 1/4 cup tapioca starch)
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp ground cloves
3/4 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp sea salt

The Bread . . .
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray your baking pans with a little olive or canola oil and then line with parchment paper.

Beat eggs in a medium mixing bowl with a hand or stand mixer until a little frothy. Add the sugar and continue to beat until smooth. Add the oil, pumpkin, and vanilla and stir together with a spatula.

In a separate bowl, measure out all dry ingredients and stir with a wisk to blend. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir to mix.


Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 35 minutes, rotating half way through. Test with a toothpick or wooden skewer for doneness. Cool on a wire rack.

I love it fresh out of the oven, but it gets even better the next day. Cover it with plastic wrap and keep in the refrigerator. It lasts for at least one week, perhaps longer, but I keep eating it all!

My favorite size to make these is in mini loaves. I think they are just the perfect size and look for a pumpkin bread. See the pan here on Amazon



**Even makes a great breakfast muffin before heading out kayaking.  This edit is for you Saucy!



2 comments:

lifeglutenfree said...

I love pumpkin bread. I have a recipe for a gf pumpkin spice bread that I love. We've made it a lot this pumpkin season :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks chef! I loved it (and all your delicious breakfasts) before kayaking. Much love, Bourbon