Monday, September 1, 2008

My Favorite Gluten Free Chocolate Cake

This gluten free chocolate cake recipe continues to impress. I made it for the first time here, but looking back I realized that I never posted the recipe. I adapted it from the Chocolate Cake recipe by Carol Fenster, Ph.D in her book "Special Diet Solutions". I have made it for a health fair that I worked at, and also a 40th Anniversary cake I did where only 2 people in the bunch were GF. Everyone there loved the cake and could not believe it was GF. It is so moist that the texture is almost fudge-like, but still springy and light. It is sweet enough that it does not have to be frosted.

Well, I needed something fun to take to a party Friday night and decided to make mini-cupcakes out of this recipe. That way people can take "just a bite" and not feel bad for eating an entire slice of cake. The only problem is when you forget just how many you have eaten.

The original recipe is for a 1 layer cake with an 8" or 9" pan. I am going to leave those instructions as is and then put some notes afterwards for using the mini cupcake pan. I have also tried different kinds of sugars and it always comes out fine. So if you need to substitute another sugar go ahead. When I use sucanat I put it through a coffee grinder first to make it finer as I find the sugar crystals are a little large and I want to make sure they dissolve with the rest of the ingredients.

Ingredients:
½ cup brown rice flour
¼ cup millet or sorghum flour
¼ cup potato starch
¼ cup tapioca flour
½ cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1¼ teaspoons baking soda
1 cup maple crystals, sucanat or regular sugar
¾ teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
½ cup almond, rice or soy milk
½ cup butter, room temperature
1 egg, lightly beaten
¾ cup coffee, room temp

Procedure:
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 inch round cake pan with butter or coconut oil. If your pans tend to stick, cut a round piece of parchment paper and place in the bottom of the pan and then grease that as well.

Put all dry ingredients in a large bowl and stir to mix. Add vanilla, milk, butter and egg and mix on low speed with a hand mixer until smooth, about 1 minute. Add coffee and blend for another minute until coffee has been completely mixed in. Batter will be thicker than non-gluten-free batters.

Pour batter into cake pan and smooth out the top with a rubber spatula. Place in oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, turning pan half way through baking time. Remove from oven when a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes and then remove and set on a rack to cool completely. Finish with your favorite frosting.

Mini Cupcakes

This recipe makes 50 mini cupcakes. Fill holes halfway with batter. Reduce baking time to 11 minutes, turning halfway through cooking time if your oven heats unevenly. I topped mine with some cocoa butter cream frosting and then a single coffee bean at the peak of the frosting.



Regular Cupcakes

I have also made regular-sized cupcakes, but I don't remember how many the recipe yielded. The best part about them was the cracked Souffle look some of them had when they came out of the oven. I left those ones unfrosted.

1 comment:

Warm Bunny said...

OMG! I bet these DO taste great! I have a Carol Fenster gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipe that is amazing--and I am not a gluten-free girl. I just love the cookies!