Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Blue Cheese & Bacon Potato Salad

I have been taking a class on BBQ techniques at the local college, which has been a great summertime activity. One night a week I don't have to cook and we have been getting our fill of BBQ. Each Tuesday night the Chef has been showing us how to make dry rubs, wet rubs and various marinades for poultry, beef, pork and seafood. The last class of the series was about side salads in which we made this dish full of blue cheese and bacon fat. I loved it immediately and decided that when I got home I would try to make a "healthier" version. The original version in class had the standard grocery store bacon and blue cheese, buttermilk, white vinegar and refined sugar. My version will be all organic and made from more natural ingredients.

For my salad I purchased Applegate Farms Bacon without nitrates and a gourmet blue cheese. A gorgonzola blue would be fantastic in this as well if you can find it.

Ingredients:
5 to 6 red potatoes, cut into small cubes
5 strips bacon
1/4 cup blue cheese, crumbled
1/2 small red onion, minced
1 rib celery, chopped
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 cup mayo
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp rice milk
2 tsp rice syrup
2 tbsp stoneground mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Cook potatoes in pot of salted, boiling water until tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse potatoes under cold water to stop cooking, and place in large bowl. Cut bacon along the short side into strips. Place in a small frying pan over medium heat until cooked and a little crispy. Pour bacon and grease over potatoes. Add blue cheese, red onion, celery and green onion to the bowl with potatoes and stir to mix.

In a small bowl mix the remaining ingredients and then pour over potato mixture, stir to mix. Then taste and adjust the seasonings to your liking. I found that after I made this I wanted more salt and the bacon a little crispier. The blue cheese really makes this a rich dish and you dont need much mayo. I didnt have celery in mine because I didnt have any in the house but I really think this needs a little more crunch. Enjoy!



This is the blue I used, "Point Reyes Original Blue" by Farmstead Cheese Company.

1 comment:

Denise said...

Gourmet Potato Salad with blue cheese and bacon, Wow, this looks so delicious, I really love a really good blue cheese especially with wine, I really appreciate you revising the recipe, so now it is really delicious
keep on cookin'