Friday, July 18, 2008

Simple Picnic Food


Having fun with simple picnic foods...... I realized yesterday that I have never made deviled eggs. I have eaten plenty of them at family bbq's, always enjoying that whipped, mayonaisey flavor, but have never done them myself. Perhaps its because there is always someone else that makes them, or that eating more than one person's share of eggs and mayo just cant be good for you.

I had some eggs that were getting close to the expiration date so I decided to boil a couple for our evening on the lawn at the Philadelphia Philharmonic concert last night at the
Mann Center.

The recipe is really easy, boil some eggs however you know how to do them. I have seen so many different ways of boiling eggs and they all seem to work out fine. Then place them into a bowl of ice water. After a couple minutes, crack the eggs under water and let them sit there another minute. This helps to loosen the shell and makes it easier to peel.

Cut the egg in half lengthwise, scoop out the yolk with a spoon and place yolks in a small bowl. Add mayo, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper and cayenne to your taste. Spoon the yolk mixture back into the white halves, sprinkle with paprika, done! I topped mine with a little Maldon salt which has large crunchy crystals. It has a flavor like no other and I just love it. Thanks to my best friend for turning me onto it.

Here is an article in The Ithica Journal about the history of the "deviled egg" which originated as a spicy dish, hence the name. What I have made above is considered more a "stuffed" egg.

No comments: