Sunday, April 6, 2008

Pumpkin Bread turned Carrot Bread


I have been craving carrot cake lately and have a couple packages of a Pumpkin Bread mix in my pantry by “Breads From Anna”. I figured the ingredients in her mix are really close to what is in carrot cake so it should transition very well. The only difference is her mix has some ginger, clove and nutmeg which will just make the bread more interesting. This recipe is adapted from the one on the back of the Pumpkin Bread package. Instead of adding 1 cup pumpkin I added ½ cup shredded carrot and ½ cup crushed pineapple. (I also threw in a handful of organic chocolate chips to help satisfy my chocolate craving.)

2 large eggs
1/3 cup dairy free butter (Earth Balance)
¼ tsp vanilla
½ cup carrot, finely shredded
½ cup crushed pineapple
Pumpkin Bread Mix by “Breads From Anna”

Grease a standard glass loaf pan with coconut oil and dust with tapioca flour. Mix all wet ingredients together by whipping with a fork or on low speed with a hand mixer. Add Pumpkin bread mix to the wet ingredients and continue stirring until well combined. Pour batter into loaf pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Rotate pan and bake for another 20 minutes. Test for doneness with a bamboo skewer or toothpick.



Here's my review:
The bread came out incredibly moist, even a day later. In fact, the crust was really hard when it first came out of the oven, but after sitting for a day, it is as soft as the inside. I do not taste any carrot though, so I want to try this again and increase the amount of carrot. I also might grate the carrot using the bigger holes on grater instead of the small.

“Bread From Anna” can be purchased here:
www.glutenevolution.com

This mix is Gluten, Yeast, Corn, Dairy, Soy, Nut and Rice Free.

1 comment:

clyon said...

I have wheat allergies and love carrot cake, so I will try this recipe next time I have a carrot cake craving.