Monday, April 21, 2008

Creamy Carrot Ginger Soup


I made this soup for a client last week who is eating a totally raw diet. I was delighted at how delicious it was even though the avocados were not at their best. I had all the ingredients in the house this morning, so I made it for myself for lunch. I used only 2 pounds of carrots when I used her brand new juicer, where as my juicer needed 3 pounds of carrots to get the same amount of juice. Time for a new juicer!

This soup contains:
3 cups of fresh organic carrot juice (about 3 # carrots)
2 ripe avocados
2 tsp fresh ginger juice
1 1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp agave nectar (optional)

Put the carrots through a juicer, then pour the juice into a blender. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend on low until mixed, less than a minute. Taste and adjust seasonings. I found that I needed to add more ginger and lemon when I remade this today because I could not taste them at all.
The original recipe called for agave as well but I think the carrots are sweet enough that it doesn't need it. The avocados make it nice and thick and add enough fat to make this satisfying to the palate.

I tried warming it slightly over a low flame to see how it tasted warm and wasn't happy with the result. This is best served immediately after making it, or at room temperature if you save it for later in the refrigerator.

1 comment:

Simon said...

hey! this looks great! can i please get the measurements?

simon.j.terry@studentmail.newcastle.edu