Sunday, December 23, 2007

Vegetable Quiche with Spelt Fillo Crust

What do you do with 2 dozen extra eggs? I say its time to make quiche. The crust is made of an organic spelt fillo by "The Fillo Factory" that I have been wanting to try. I hope it turns out to be a good product as I would be disappointed to waste all these yummy vegetables (and I am not sure yet how I will react to this form of spelt).

Ingredients:
8 Sheets of Spelt Fillo
4 tbsp dairy-free butter, melted
1 tbsp olive oil
4-5 green onions, chopped
1/2 zucchini, chopped
1/2 cup cooked asparagus, chopped
1 head brocolli florets only, steamed then chopped
1/2 cup ham, chopped
1/2 chopped tomato
9 eggs
1/2 cup unsweetened almond or rice milk
1 pinch nutmeg
couple shakes ground thyme
couple shakes garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 turns freshly ground pepper

Heat oven to 350. Brush bottom and sides of 8 in. pyrex pie pan with melted butter. Layer fillo dough in pie pan by brushing each layer with melted butter before placing the next sheet on. Fold any dough that hangs over the edge back inside the dish and pinch along the edges to make it stick. Place in oven for 10 minutes, remove and set aside.

Heat olive oil in small saute' pan over medium heat and then add green onions and zucchini and cook until just soft. Put in a bowl with asparagus, ham, broccoli and tomato. Toss to mix.

Whip eggs in a large bowl and add almond milk, nutmeg, thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Place vegetables into quiche pan on top of the crust and evenly distribute. Pour egg mixture over the vegetables. Bake for 20 minutes, rotate dish, bake another 20 minutes. Remove from oven when the quiche no longer jiggles in the middle. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

The quiche tasted great as did the crust. I do not think the spelt fillo is ok for those with gluten allergies. I was ok with eating a piece of this but if I ate it every day for a couple days, it would start to bother me. It is nice to have as a treat every once and awhile, especially for Christmas morning when the family is together, and then at least I know I am getting a far less amount of gluten than with regular fillo dough.

1 comment:

denny said...

Hey Andrea,
the quiche looks amazing and i'll bet it tasts the same! glad we got together before the holidays, i see you added the Jules thin crust pizza on your site, they also have one in doylestown... it is very good pizza, i took some to my mom and dad's just last week for dinner, and loved it too!
denise